Far below this railway station are the remains of a Roman palace, built in the 1st century. The ‘Steelyard’, used by German and Flemish merchants, stood here from the 10th century until it was destroyed by the Great Fire of London (1666). The Livery Hall, built by the Company of Plumbers, occupied the site from 1690 until the 1860s. It was replaced by Cannon Street Station, designed by Sir John Hawkshaw.
Find out More >