This pub occupies a site at the junction of Chapel Street and Back Street. The latter once marked the farthest limit of the town. Chapel Street acquired its name after the episcopal chapel was erected on the site of this pub in 1747, at a cost of £467, seating about 600. It was dedicated to St Peter, whose emblem is two cross keys symbolising the keys to heaven. Centuries earlier, Peterhead’s first church had also been dedicated to the saint and it is thought that the town’s long association with St Peter is the origin of its name.
Find out More >