These premises had been a wine bar since the 1980s and are a combination of two warehouses and two houses, all built in the early 19th century. The tallest warehouse was built between 1808 and 1834. The cast-iron wall plates fixed to the building are inscribed with the name of local ironmonger Joseph Morton. Morton’s well-known ironmongery business operated in Louth well into the 20th century.
A photograph and text about the Lincolnshire Worlds Railway.
The text reads: The Lincolnshire Wolds Railway is a heritage railway based at Ludborough station in Lincolnshire. It is the only gauge station railway in Lincolnshire that is open to the public.
Photographs and text about Hubbard’s Hills.
The text reads: Hubbard’s Hills is a public park near Louth, dedicated to the memory of Annie Pahud and donated by the trustees of Auguste Alphonse Pahud.
The park opened to the public on August 1907. The Swiss Auguste Pahud moved to Louth in 1875 to take up duties as a German and French teacher at the grammar school. He married a local farm girl Annie, daughter of William and Maria Grant.
Annie Pahud died in 1889 and Auguste never got over this, committing suicide in 1902. They were buried together at Withern Church and their gravestones now sit on the pathway beside what used to be the church.
A photograph of Colin Michael Foale, born 6 January 1957 in Louth.
He was a British American astrophysicist and NASA astronaut.
Photographs of the Louth flood of 1920.
Photographs and text about St. James’ Church.
The text reads: At 295 feet tall, this medieval building has the tallest Anglican church spire in England and the second highest spire of all after the Roman Catholic church or St. Walburge, Preston.
The church is dedicated to James, son of Zebedee, who was of great importance in the middle ages as the focus of the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.
Photographs and text about Cadwell Park.
The text reads: Cadwell Park is a motor racing circuit 5 miles south of Louth, owned and operated by Jonathan Palmer’s Motorsport Vision company. Several tests and feature clips for ‘Fifth Gear’ have been filmed here.
Sited across a steep-sided valley which gives rise to dips and crests, the circuit features sharp changes in gradient, including one section called The Mountain where bikes can become airborne by up to several feet. Its mix of challenging corners has led to its nickname as the Mini-Nurburgring.
Cadwell Park established in 1934 by Mr Mansfield Wilkinson of Louth, is now considered too narrow for high level car races and it is primarily used for motorcycle racing, with the Bennetts British Superbike Championship round being the most popular event on the circuit’s calendar.
In the 60s and 70s, stock car racing drew big crowds to Cadwell as the gradient changes added excitement to a form of racing normally accustomed to flat shale-grit or concrete ovals of 400 yards.
Top left: Vintage cars still race at Cadwell
Top right: Stock racing at Cadwell in the 70s
Mid left: The Cadwell Park circuit from the air
Right: Map of the Cadwell park circuit.
Photographs of Louth Grammar former pupils.
External photograph of the building – main entrance.
If you have information on the history of this pub, then we’d like you to share it with us. Please e-mail all information to: firstname.lastname@example.org