The George Hotel is first recorded in 1817. It was then owned by the Bear Brewery, Lewes, and named after George III. He was the third Hanoverian king of England and, unlike his predecessors, was born in England, spoke English as his first language and did not visit Hanover. In the latter part of his long reign, the king suffered from recurring fits of madness – and his son acted as regent.
Find out More >