The part of the building next to Heath Road (known as ‘The Tap’) is 16th or 17th century and was probably an ale house in the early 1600s. A document of 1696 mentions the ‘Lion’. In 1734, it was described as ‘the Red Lion, lately built, formerly the Sun Inn’. It was modernised in c1790, with the present façade dating from then. In 1820, a group of freemasons bought part of the property and built a Masonic Hall – still at the rear. For around 50 years (c1828–80), The Red Lion was mostly in the hands of members of the Crafts family.
Find out More >