This distinctive building opened around 1935 as the new flagship store for ‘dealers in furniture’ Hastings Ltd, which had occupied a row of shops on the same site, part of Queens Parade. The arrival of the railways transformed this once-rural area, with the parade built afterwards. The first line opened in 1838, operated by the London and South Western Railway (LSWR). Later, other railway companies would extend lines through the area. However, the first station did not open until 1863, after LSWR had joined forces with rival companies to build one at Falcon Bridge – later renamed Clapham Junction.