Oxford Street was once crowded with theatres and cinemas, including The Paramount. Built in 1930, this showpiece ‘picture palace’ was later replaced by the Odeon cinema, next to this Wetherspoon pub. Manchester’s first film shows took place at the St James Theatre, Oxford Street, in 1896. The Picture House – diagonally opposite this Wetherspoon pub – was the city’s first purpose-built cinema (1911).
Find out More >