Numbers 47-49 South Road are located towards the beach end of the street and have remained empty since 2009. The premises were last occupied by Waterloo Furnishing Stores Ltd, the successor to Pearsons department store which opened in 1960. Until 22 August 1959, the premises had been the Queens cinema. Converted to show ‘talkies’ in 1930, the cinema was purpose built in 1913 as the Queens Picture House, opening its doors on 17 March 1913, with His Western Way, a silent black-and-white film, directed by Romaine Fielding.
Find out More >