In the late 18th century, Obediah Brooke owned a large field near this pub. It was one of several owned by the Brooke family. A century later, they owned the town’s flourishing tannery. Their name is recalled in nearby Brooke Street. Elsewhere, the land was farmed communally on large, open fields. These were enclosed around 1795, with many taking the names of their owners. Several were owned by the Brooke family. Obediah Brooke owned one a few hundred yards from this site.
Find out More >