This property has been a public house and hotel since 1950, when it was bought by the Northampton Brewery Company. Until then, the Georgian-style building had been a private residence, built in 1928 for a Mr TH Crumbie. The stone for the White House came from Normanton Hall, demolished two years earlier. The Hall stood 25 miles away on the southern shore of what is now Rutland Water (a reservoir and popular tourist attraction created in the 1970s).
A plaque documenting the history of The White House.
The plaque reads: This building has been The White House hotel and bar since 1950. Until then, the Georgian style property has been a private residence, built in c1928, for a Mr TH Crumbie. The stone for the White House was brought from Normanton Hall, an 18th century mansion built for Sir Gilbert Heathcote, that stood on what is now the southern shore of Rutland Water.
These premises were refurbished by J D Wetherspoon in January 2011.
A photograph and text about The White House.
The text reads: The White House has been a public house and hotel since 1950, when it was bought by the Northampton Brewery Company. Many local couple have posed on these stairs for their wedding photo!
Until 1950 the Georgian style building had been a private residence, built in 1928 for local businessman Tom Crumbie. Mr Crumbie as honorary secretary of Leicester Rugby Football Club (now Leicester Tigers), and apparently wanted somewhere to entertain executives from opposing clubs.
The Stone for The White House came from Normanton Hall, which had been demolished two years earlier. The hall stood 25 miles away on the southern shore of what is now Rutland Water.
Right: The White House
Below: Margaret and Stephen Chapman who married on 29 March 1969
Right: Wedding guests on the White House Stairs.
An original Ancaster limestone carving, by sculptor James Wheeler.
This pictorial stone carving tells the story of The White House and how it came to be.
The stone from The White House originated from Normanton Hall which was located on the southern edge of what became Rutland Water.
The building was commissioned in 1928 by the great Tom Crumbie, honorary secretary of Leicester Rugby Football Club (now Leicester Tigers). It is thought that he wanted somewhere to entertain executives from opposing clubs; however he died before the building was completed.
It was purchased in 1932 by Mr Harrison, a well-known Leicester seed merchant who wanted space to trial his plants and seeds.
He then sold it to the Northampton Brewery in 1948, who opened it as a pub two years later.
External photograph of the building – main entrance.
If you have information on the history of this pub, then we’d like you to share it with us. Please e-mail all information to: email@example.com