In the early 19th century, the Master of Bideford Grammar School lived in a house roughly on this site. In 1871, it was replaced by ‘Public Rooms’ which became the Palace Cinema. The cinema closed in 1962, replaced by a supermarket which was later used as a furnishing store. The premises are now named after the heroine of Westward Ho! This famous historical novel is set in Bideford, where it was written by Charles Kingsley in 1854.
Find out More >