An inn called The Welsh Harp is thought to have stood on this site in the 17th century. By 1820, it had become The Britannia; in the 1960s, it changed its name for the last time to The Shrewsbury Hotel. In 1685, the site of The Welsh Harp is recorded as Mardol, now Bridge Place. The Welsh Harp is mentioned again in 1786 and 1804 as the starting point for ‘stage waggons for Welshpool’.
Find out More >