This pub comprises the Sawyer’s Arms and the adjacent betting shop, part of what was the New Theatre’s foyer. It also includes the area at the rear, occupied by the now-demolished auditorium. The New Theatre opened in 1914, with the musical Wait and See, but was soon showing films. It became a bingo hall in the early 1960s and closed in the 1990s. A distinctive stone façade extends across the front of the Sawyer’s Arms and the theatre. The public house is a long-time feature of Commercial Street and ‘a building of local importance’.
Find out More >